Wednesday, December 19, 2007

CIS Hawks

I am the proud coach of the Copenhagen International School's middle school girls basketball team. My friend Don is starting Young Life up in Copenhagen and CIS provided some perfect opportunities to start getting to know the kids through sports and clubs. Don asked if I would be interested in coaching the basketball team and it took me all of about 2 seconds to say yes!

They only practice twice a week (which makes it do-able to manage with work) and only have 2 tournaments where they actually have games. So it is more like an "afterschool club" in my mind then the competitive basketball that I grew up with...which makes deciding how tough to be on them a little interesting at times...but overall it is really fun.
I had them over for brunch a few weeks ago which was a great chance to get to know them a little better and see their personalities come out. I learned that most of them have already lived in 3-4 countries by now and one has already lived in 7 different countries! On my teams I have at least 9 differnet nationalities that I can think of off the top of my head right now...Danish, Swedish, Canadian, American, Croatian, British, Chinese, Gambian, German....I think I might be forgetting one or two.

1 comment:

emily rietz said...

you are such a stud...your little players are lucky to have you! :)