Sunday, January 27, 2008

Two amazing women

My mom and my grandmother have recently spent/are spending a lot of time in hospitals, which is thankfully something our family has very little experience in.

My mom had heart surgery last week to repair two valves. She just might have set some hospital records in terms of how fast she has recovered with basically no complications. Less than 24 hr after sugery she was up and sitting in a chair (already tired of being confined to a bed) and soon after was walking the hospital halls. She's been discharged and is now adding stairs to her walking routine and decreasing her pain medication daily. Whereas most people ask their doctors when they'll be able to walk a mile, my mom was instead asking when she would water ski...the doctor told her she'd be ready once the ice melts! I admire her determination, initiative, and the discipline she had previously instilled in her excercise and diet which played a huge part in her quick recovery.

Mom and I in Punta Cana, January 2008

My Granny has been in a nursing home since about October slowly to sucumbing to old age and congestive heart failure. She's become such a constant in my 28 years that I sometimes forget the fact that she is 99 years old and that this time would come at some point. She's taken a turn for the worse over the past week, but continues to defy the odds and shock all the doctors with her ability to perservere and still visit with family and friends during this time. While it is hard to be away now, I am incredibly thankful that I was able to see her everyday I was home over Christmas and spend some time celbrating her life. To see all the pictures of people that have been there to visit with her, all the cards pouring in, and the flowers and chocolates scattered throughout the room, I can't say I was at all surprised however I was struck by the impact she has left on so many people in the community. Her perserverance in and spirit for life have helped shape me and I am so blessed for being able to spend so many years with her.


Granny keeping dry at Mom & Dad's 40th wedding anniversary, Aug 2007

2 comments:

Kara said...

I don't want to get old! So glad to hear your mom's recovering at such a quick rate (though like you, I'm not surprised)! And I didn't realize Granny had congestive heart failure... must be something with Granny's getting old, my Granny has that too, though she calls it "congestion of the heart failure" - you can talk about it with her in a few weeks. I'll keep your family in my prayers!

emily rietz said...

Thanks for posting this - you are in my thoughts...my Grandmother is in the same boat - it's a sucky disease. love to you and to them...