Sunday, January 1, 2012

Oyster Trauma

Growing up, my parents would host a Christmas Open House every year.  While this was a mostly fun event, it did always come with some trauma for me.  My dad loves oysters on the half shell and I was his partner in crime for shucking.  We would head down to the basement or out to the garage with the oysters, a flat head screwdriver, and a hammer.  I would hold the oysters while he would chisel them open....requiring quick reflexes from me if the hammer or screwdriver ever slipped!
He called me a couple days ago and said, "We're back in action!!!  I got a dozen oysters.  We're shucking Saturday!!!!"  I was a little nervous, but we came up with a new method of me holding the oyster with an old oven mitt which helped with both the safety and the leverage for cracking them open.
Look how great they look!!!! (not that I ate any, but those who like oysters said they were very good)

That was it for pictures...but we had a great night ringing in the New Year in Lake Geneva with a progressive dinner through the neighborhood!!!

No comments: