Friday, November 11, 2011

Why Cleanse?

Cleansing is becoming more “mainstream” these days, so much so that only my brother-in-law-to-be has given me weird looks. So…why cleanse? Quite simply - to allow our bodies time relax and recover. We are exposed to so many toxins each day…from the air we breathe in, to the packaged and stabilized food we put in our bodies.

By removing certain foods that cause inflammation in our bodies – gluten, dairy, caffeine, sugar, red meat, alcohol – we give our digestive system a break and our cells time to heal other ailments. We’re doing three days of liquid – broths, juices, and smoothies – to fully detox and restart digestion.

After 3 days of liquid, we’ll go back to clean eating and gradually try small quantities of the foods we had removed, which will allow us to actually feel any reactions from sensitivities we may have to these foods that we normally ignore since we are just used to feeling that way.

I’m done with Day 1 of the liquid phase and feel good. Never felt full yesterday, but didn’t feel hungry much either. Overall, I’ve felt good throughout the cleanse except for one day a few days into clean eating where I was very sleepy all day.
Will I sustain the clean eating moving forward…probably not. But I have learned a lot of new techniques and experimented with lots of new foods that I am loving and those I will take with me for sure!

No comments: