Saturday, June 14, 2008

Easter in Rome

Spring is the season for holidays in Denmark and Easter kicks everything off with a five day weekend. Katie and I decided we needed to go somewhere where the sun would be shining, the weather would be a little warmer, the plane ride wasn't too long, and a place neither of us had been before. So we decided on Rome and booked it...only to realize a few days later that we were headed to Rome on Easter weekend -- typical tourists!!

On day one we walked all over Rome....Villa Borghese, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain (where we of course tossed coins), and plenty of beautiful piazzas and churches


Day two we headed to the Vatican and took a tour of the museums and Sistine Chapel. Sadly no pictures allowed in the Sistine Chapel...it was breathtaking.


Though no pictures were allowed in the Sistine Chapel, there were some pretty amazing other ceilings in the museums.

Okay, now for the HIGHLIGHT of the trip. I think I should be a little ashamed to say this as I was in Rome , and it was a magnificent city. But the hightlight was that we stumbled upon this amazing little bar that was showing the NCAA tournament...and not just the tournament, opening weekend of the tournament. As I only got to see one of the final games last year, I was thrilled to get to see many back to back to back games! We ended up going back 3 nights in a row and met lots of fun people. I tried to capture the "big screen" but it didn't photograph well, trust me, it was great!
Day three we took a tour of the Colosseum, Panteon, Campo de Fiori, and Roman Forum.





Remember how I said we chose Rome partly because we were hoping to get away from the rain...well, all of Europe was under rain clouds for most of Easter weekend so we spent a lot of time under umbrellas, wading through puddles, and.....


.....enjoying the great food and coffee : )

2 comments:

Elisabeth said...

Nice pictures!

Kara said...

Seriously - seeing the Roman Coliseum AND watching college hoops? I think that was pretty much the best trip ever. Man, seeing your pictures of such an amazing city like Rome makes me crave more Europe!