Thursday, February 11, 2010

Vancouver 2010!!!

To say that I am excited about the 2010 Winter Olympics starting tomorrow is a huge understatement. I LOVE THE OLYMPICS!!! Especially the Winter Olympics. This should be no surprise to any of you who know me...athletes pushing themselves to the limits, all the extra stories of the adversities they have had overcome in their lives, the competition, etc. LOVE IT!
I was thinking back to some of my favorite Olympic memories this morning...and no I don't mean memories of actual Olympic events, but rather memories of watching the games with friends. So here are my most recent favorites...

Winter 2002 - Salt Lake City
At this time Kristen and I were living in DC (yay Eastern Market!). We would come home each day from work, cook dinner together, and then set up our "tv trays" and eat dinner while watching the games.

Summer 2004 - Athens
Melissa was staying with me in Arlington, VA for about a month...sleeping on the couch downstairs...which, unfortunately for her, is where the tv was located. Poor Melissa was kept up way past her bedtime on several nights because I wanted to watch the games into the wee hours of the morning.

Winter 2006 - Turin
Kara hosted an Opening Ceremonies party where we all brought foods representing different nations....it was quite the eclectic spread! I was, and obviously still am, very proud of my salad. Sadly I cannot find pictures (a little help Kara!!) but I put spring greens in a rectangular serving dish, then made the Olympic Rings on top out of Blueberries (Blue), Yellow Pepper (Yellow), Blackberries (Black), Green Onion (Green), and Cranberries(Red).
Summer 2008 - Beijing
I was living in Copenhagen at this time. After enjoying a preview of the upcoming Opera season in Faelledparken, we all headed back to my apartment to have our own game night (oh course lots of Mexican Train!!) while watching the games. And...I even have a blog post to commemorate the night!

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!!

4 comments:

Melissa M. said...

Summer 2004 correction: You kept me up WAY past my bedtime because I had to be at the Maersk office like two hours before you rolled in! But I couldn't complain because you got me the temp job and you were letting me sleep on your couch for free! What I did complain about, however, was the paper thin slices of muenster cheese you doled out. You refused to share the rind with me, so I sat there on my couch, in my jammies, waiting to be be allowed to sleep while you quietly passed my 0.000000000001 ounce portions of cheese to me.

Kara said...

Melissa, that story reminds me of a time that Christy insisted that I choose which of two sandwiches I wanted but then decided that in the end, that was the one she desired. And yet we still love our CP. (seriously? - I'm laughing so hard at Christy rationing out slivers of non-rind Muenster)

Glad to be included in this illustrious list... I wasn't able to wrangle up a picture of the infamous salad but I will vouch for its appearance. I even considered a similarly commemorative salad for tomorrow night! Let the GAMES begin!

Christy Parker said...

I love how my post on the majesty of the GAMES has turned into my friends pointing out how ridiculous I am at times :-) I am certainly lucky you two put up with all my craziness!

Yes, Kara it is true...I would not share the rind of my TJ's muenster. Still won't - ha!

"Salmon Burger" or BBQ Pork...JUST CHOOSE - hahhahaha! (is salmon burger right or was it something else??)

LB said...

haha. I totally remember the rings! Hilarious!