Saturday, February 5, 2011

First Stop - Sydney - Day 1

Getting to Australia is always a long travel day…mine was made even longer since I flew out of Chicago extra early to (successfully) avoid the blizzard. After a full day in LA, I was joined by Leslie and Ryanne a few hours before our flight to the land down under. Since I had been so focused on the blizzard, I was surprised when they told me that there was a huge cyclone (hurricane) headed for the north Australia coast…just where are tour was headed. Surprisingly, this didn’t phase me…probably because I was traveling with my travel agents so I knew everything would work out. After a 13.5hr flight we touched down in Sydney at 6am and were off to our hotel. The room wasn’t ready, but we were able to go up to the lounge, relax, and have some breakfast…and lots of coffee. Then off to see the sights! We walked down to the Opera House…stopping for a quick pic at the Harbour Bridge which Leslie and I were climbing the following day – yikes!
No trip to Sydney is complete without a trip to the Opera House right? It was H.O.T. (the worst heat wave in 5 years) so we decided to hop on the ferry to Watson Bay for the breeze. It turned out to be a great choice for a relaxing lunch overlooking downtown Sydney. After a short nap and long showers we were back to the Opera House to meet Jeff and Nadia, Aussie friends of Ryanne, for drinks at the Opera Bar. What a perfect setting! We finished up the night with a Chinese meal overlooking the Harbour Bridge. It was Chinese New Year so they put on a show complete with drums and Chinese dragons that we “fed” coins to. Whew, that was probably the longest “day” of my life – but a great start to the vacation!

No comments: