Saturday, July 23, 2011

Next Stop Hong Kong!

Last time I was in Hong Kong it was only a couple days at the end of a work trip to Shenzen so I was only able to do a few of the highlights...the Star Ferry and Lan Kwai Fong....and not surprisingly those were my first stops on this trip! After dinner at what I would call "Little India" in Kowloon (read that as extremely authentic Indian food...apparently to prepare my stomach for my next stop on this crazy adventure). And then it was off to the Star Ferry to head over to Hong Kong Island. (Side note: In both my trips to HKG I didn't make it out for a ride on a junk....someday...someday).Post Indian feast it was off to Lan Kwai Fong. Patrick decided that the first stop would be for shots as the Ice Bar as a tribute to those very cold Chicago winters! After a very late night, I decided to head for dim sum at the Luk Yu Tea House. It definitely had the "old world China vibe" and was a good start to the day before heading out to the markets. I don't really get the concept of the markets...all the vendors for a particular product are right next to each other within the same few blocks. Doesn't seem like the best commercial/competitive concept, but it is quite a sight. First up was the flower market!


I loved all the orchid shops, so many varieties and so much volume.

Next was the Goldfish Market. Now, I've been to my fair share of Wisconsin state fairs, but I have never seen so many goldfish in one place. These weren't for winning though, they were for buying.
Then the Bird Market. This was pretty sad, all the birds in cages...especially with all the free ones flying around.
I'm not quite sure what the point was, but this lady kept rearranging the cages.

Then, I headed to the Jade Market...which did have a lot of jade, but had plenty of other jewlery as well.
Finally the Women's market which was full of all kinds of clothing, purses, pottery, etc. I had a hard time limiting myself to only a few purses! Then I was market-ed out and caught a picture of these men playing mahjong in the park which was a great change of pace from all the craziness of the markets.

1 comment:

Melissa M. said...

I love the pics of the markets! Maybe the birds were fighting so she moved them around a lot to make them stop?