Saturday, February 14, 2009

No Dust on my Passport!

I’ll be the first to admit that I am a little neurotic about my passport. It is honestly one of my most prized possessions – not the actual passport itself, but all the great memories it holds. I love to flip through the pages and remember the trips, the people I met, and the beautiful scenes from all the travel I have been fortunate to do in the past 10 years. I get anxious when I have to turn my passport in to process Visas and I am procrastinating a bit on my 10yr renewal process because I have a fear that they will not return my old passport.
All that being said, when I returned to Chicago around Thanksgiving there were no travel plans in the works that would require my trusty passport – a strange concept to me after the past two years of being out of the country at least once a month. Well, I quickly rectified that by planning a spur of the moment New Year’s trip to Honduras! Daron was doing a medical mission for a few weeks in mainland Honduras, and I decided to join him on his vacation to Roatan (an island on the northern coast of Honduras) for a few days.
After a few delayed planes and a ferry debacle, we finally made it to the island paradise of Roatan. I highly highly recommend Roatan - it is a relaxed island atmosphere, if relatively cheap, has amazingly fresh seafood, and super friendly people who are bilingual in Spanish and English (due to a heavy Pirate concentration back in the day.) In addition to all that the snorkeling and scuba are amazing because Roatan is situated on 3 Techtronic plates.
I even got Scuba certified - loved it, new hobby! I didn't have an underwater camera, so no scuba shots, but below was a great snorkeling spot!And all too soon it was back to the mainland to head home...

No comments: