Saturday, February 28, 2009

The Big D

I had to go to Dallas for a few days for work and as my plane was landing I started to wonder how many times I have actually been to Dallas. Lutes wedding, Reitz wedding, Koch wedding, McCollum wedding, Fuquay wedding, Girl's Weekend in river country, visiting Em and Brad, and I am sure there are more that are slipping my mind right now. Needless to say, I know Dallas pretty well and while I can't say that it is my favorite city, it is home to some of my favorite people!Brooke and Lee were gracious enough to open their super hyggeligt home to me! What does hyggeligt mean? It is the Danish word for "cozy," but not cozy like a sweater, cozy as in an atmosphere and a vibe. Danes strive for hygge, and all the hard work that Brooke and Lee put into their house certainly hit the nail on the head! Hygge extends beyond just the setting you are in, but also includes the conversations and interactions you have with the people you are with, and I for one certainly cannot think of two more hyggeligt people than my host and hostess!Before dinner, Missy came over for a quick visit as she had to get home for puppy training with her adorable new pup Rusty. From there, Brooke and I went to meet Lee at The Screendoor for dinner. This is a new place in Dallas and I highly recommend it. It specializes Southern cooking and the menu is split into "Then" and "Now" - we stuck mostly to the "Then" menu which featured more traditional low country cookin'.

Everything was fabulous. Before our starters were brought out we were served warm breads that were absolutely incredible. Lee and I got salads, while Brooke got sweet potato bisque (which did not photograph well!). And for our main courses, we had shrimp and grits, fried chicken with mac&cheese, and fried catfish. All washed down with some excellent Elizabeth Rose Pinot Noir.

Tak for i aften Brooke and Lee. Det var rigtig hyggeligt! (Thanks for the evening Brooke and Lee. It was truly "hyggeligt".

3 comments:

Kara said...

So fun. I must ask, however - how come you've started speaking and referring to the Danish language and phrases only now that you've moved back to the US of A?

the fuquays said...

don't forget the Fuquay wedding!

copenhagen_by_bike said...

Hey Teacher! how are you doing there? no more news on your weblog, hope you are doing great!
tell me about your new life and job!!! elena