Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Good Life

We had another great day in Roatan. My family stayed in the West Bay to snorkel and enjoy the best beach on the island, while I hopped on the water taxi down to West End to spend the day diving.
I'm going to give another plug for the Sea Grape - I stayed here last year and it was great and very reasonable. All the employees are fabulous and it is one of the only locally owned dive shops.
Tony, Doug, and I had a great first dive of the day. Went through some caverns, along the reef wall, and down to about 80ft. Tony spotted a sea turtle headed up to the surface for air so we waited for him to swim back down and then watched him for while.

I went to Tong's for an extremely delicious and relaxing lunch, followed by a little ACC basketball at the sports bar across the street.
Then it was back out on the water. This time Tony captained the boat and Calvin took us along "Green Outhouse Wall." The current was so strong that we just glided along and barely had to kick. At the end of the dive we dove through a cave and to get out we had to go one by one and swim up, maneuvering through some very tight spaces - so fun!
It was a gorgeous afternoon, so I walked the hour back to West Bay...
Along the way, I had to cross a treacherous bridge. I remember crossing it last year with Daron and we went one by one for fear it would collapse. Well, it has only gotten worse. When I got up to it there were steel wires blocking the entrance. I asked the fisherman standing there gutting his catch how to get across and he said the only way was the bridge. Well...when it Rome I guess. I hopped the wire blockade, made my way carefully up the broken steps, walked quickly across and down and over the blockade on the other side. Probably not my smartest move, but I made it!
For dinner we walked down to the Vintage Pearl on the beach, a little Italian style villa.
Any place where you leave your flip flops at the door is a winner in my book!
Our three course meals were delicious and afterwards we walked down to the beach and relaxed in the hammocks looking up at billions of stars - seriously amazing!

No comments: