Saturday, January 16, 2010

Island Fun - Roatan

For the 5th annual last family vacation - yes, we ladies have conned Bob into 5 "last" family vacations - we headed down to Roatan, Honduras. Daron and I had gone last year, and I knew my family would LOVE it! We arrived on Thurday afternoon, checked into our great condo, and headed to the beach for a little snorkeling. For dinner we headed to the Lobster Pot...which our cab driver could not deliver us too directly...we had to walk the last bit via beach!
It was delicious...as Kel said "If their name is the Lobster Pot, I think it is a safe bet that they have pretty good lobster." And, everything - including the coconut wheat bread - was made by hand - we all cleaned our plates :-)
On the way back we stopped at the Barefoot Bar and Kel listened for the ocean in the conchs....heard nothing, must have still had stuffed ears from the plane, bummer.
On Friday morning, I headed back to the Sea Grape Plantation Dive Shop - where I got certified last year - for my first of 4 dives. It was great - lots of fish and a couple sea turtles! Then off to the Blue Marlin for lunch.
Kel and Mom joined me for the second dive of the day....they snorkeled.


While Tony, Peter, Doug and I were diving we saw a HUGE manta ray - click on that link, it was HUGE, 10ft tip to tip, had a remora traveling with it. It just kept circling us...not aggressively, but still a bit scary - but overall it was SO COOL!
We headed to Eagle Ray's for happy hour and sunset watching.
Dinner at the Lighthouse was delicious....and entertaining since Bob decided to wow us with a new fashion sense...swim trunks under shorts....

No comments: