Tuesday, November 23, 2010

GRIP

I have started volunteering (finally, have been wanting to for awhile, just hadn't gotten myself in gear) with GRIP Outreach for Youth. LOVE IT!The goal is life on life mentorship with high school students in Chicago. These kids do not have it easy - poor schools, most of the time hard family lives, etc. So, they are matched up with a mentor who quite simply does life with them.What this looks like is a 3hr SLAM session every Monday - which involves team competitions (there are 4 teams...I am on green - go Zing!), a message, competitions for points (winning team each month gets a pizza party), etc. There are consistently about 100 kids and about 70-80 mentors so we're always looking for more!While SLAM is super fun, the main goal is time "Outside the Walls" with the kids, in whatever shape that takes. I hit it off with one of the girls last night, so I am excited to see where this relationship goes!

No comments: